Sunday, October 19, 2008

San Diego: Hahatown

We've finally reached San Diego, or as I think of it, Hahatown. Everything around here revolves around sailing and right now, the Baja Haha. 

When we left Marina del Rey, we headed for fabled Catalina Island! I think I've heard of that my whole life. In the old movies, people were always heading for Catalina. Didn't Bogie go there in one of his movies? The maps have it listed as Santa Catalina, one of the Channel Islands. We didn't go to Avalon, the main marina because there were huge seas predicted for that side of the island. We went around to the west side, and got a mooring buoy at Catalina Harbor. It was a lovely setting with a full moon, and very quiet. We took the dingy to shore and walked across the island- only half a mile or so, to Two Harbors for lunch one day. Michael, Finn and I also took the dingy and did a bit of exploring along the shore. Very rugged, and interesting geology. We spent two nights there and then headed for Mission Bay, just north of San Diego, where we anchored for 2 nights. The big excitement there was that we really wanted showers by then, and didn't want to use all the water on the boat, so Chris took us over to a public park that had an outdoor shower, and we soaped up with COLD water. It was horrible, but then felt great- once it was over, that is. After all, it is very warm here. About 80 degrees. Not that I want to make you feel bad or anything:)

We wanted to time our arrival in San Diego at the Public Marina just right, since we're only allowed to stay for 10 nights, but for cheap...$10/night. We got one of the last slips so will be able to stay here until we leave for the Haha, on October 27th. 

I'm going to post this now, (I am going to a Gordon Lightfoot outdoor concert tonight), but I have more to tell. So will write more later about San Diego.
love,
Patty

2 comments:

Michael said...

Patricia!
Gosh, you've visited 3 of my favorite places: Monterey, Catalina, and now San Diego! I used to kayak through Mission Bay all the time! I hope your voyage is proving to be all you hoped for and more...
Keep blogging!
Michael from Moontide

Lori said...

Hi Patty,

Great to see your post this morning! It's a gray and rainy day here so I'm very envious of your warm weather. We have had some glorious fall weather the past few days so I really shouldn't be complaining. Your adventures sound amazing and I continue to live vicariously through you as you journey south. Keep posting!